Visit to the villages of the Valdichiana
A sud di Arezzo si estende la Val di Chiana, luogo di bellezza smisurata, ricca di tesori e meraviglie da scoprire, di paesaggi da ammirare e strade mozzafiato da percorrere. Qui la storia e le tradizioni sono in perfetta armonia con il paesaggio. È proprio questo a generare la sua straordinarietà.
Tra estesi vigneti e oliveti, sulle colline che circondano la Val di Chiana si ergono numerosi borghi medievali, meta ideale per passare 2-3 giorni a scoprire questi antichi centri storici e le loro tradizioni.
Tra i più caratteristici e da scoprire possiamo suggerire Cortona, Pienza e Montepulciano (i più grandi e famosi), ma meritano qualche ora di visita anche Lucignano, Monte San Savino o Castiglion fiorentino.
Monte San Savino is an active agricultural center located on a hill in the heart of the Val di Chiana. It is characterized by its predominantly hilly landscape rich in olive groves.
It has pre-French origins and in the 13th century belonged to the Ubertini. It came under the rule of Arezzo and Florence and the latter gained its dominion from 1385 onwards.
The village is rich in medieval and Renaissance architecture such as the Palazzo di Monte and the hanging gardens, Palazzo Pretorio, the Church of Saints Tiburzio and Susanna, the Castle of Gargonza and the Loggia dei Mercanti; the Loggias also called Loggias of the Market, a construction of the 1500s are the seat of the Municipality.
To visit the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Vertighe, containing important works such as the Nativity of the Virgin by Bernardino Santini, the dittico with San Savino and San Romualdo Di Ridolfo del Ghirlandaio, the Madonna di Vertighe and four stories of the Virgin of Margarito and Refreshment of Arezzo; but also the Church of San Agostino of the '300 with its Gothic portal and a beautiful cloister is worth the visit.
In November in Monte San Savino the ancient fair of the equine, the Fiera di Santa Caterina, was celebrated. The old town for the occasion is filled with food and wine banquets, vehicle displays and equipment while the shops and shops remain open for the duration of the event.
Like the whole Val di Chiana, Monte San Savino is the land of products such as oil, wine, ribollita and chianina meat dishes, coming from this territorial area.
Lucignano is a smallvillageof Etruscan origin, it is in the Middle Ages that it takes on importance given itsposition, being on the border between the nascent powers of Siena, Florence, Arezzo and Perugia which, on several occasions, alternated in thecontrolof the town. The historic center of Lucignano, enclosed by amuraria loveelissoidal of the fourteenth century, it is beautiful and particular. Entering from Porta San Giusto, the visitor is proposed twolife: the poor street, where in the past the humblest families lived, characterized by small stone houses; the rich way, where thepalacesrenaissance style of the ancient noble families. In the highest part of Lucignano, there is Piazza del Tribunale, where they overlook: the Town Hall, seat of theMuseumpreserving the famous Golden Tree, a 2.60 metre high reliquary built between 1350 and 1471; the Church of St. Francis, in gothic style, which boasts manyfrescoesprecious from the 14th and 15th centuries; the Collegiate Church of San Michele Arcangelo, which is located at the southern end of the square, near the Costa della Collegiata, built in the second half of the 1500s and characterized by an imposing elition staircase designed by Andrea Pozzo.
Adjacent to Cortona is Castiglion Fiorentino, which stands on a hill about twenty km from Arezzo among the typicallandscapesval di Chiana. Like the other hills around, on which risecastlesand cinte murarie, the high-end that houses Castiglion Fiorentino has also been fortified. The Castiglionese Cassero is the first recognizable structure of the village. typicallymedieval, the building retains the characteristics it acquired around the 11th century, when a castle was built in the area. The city experienced feudalism, the Domination of Perugina, Aretina, Florentine and the Napoleonic era. The manymonumentsreligious that shape the village, including the Church of Sant'Angelo al Cassero. Dated 12th century, numerous works by the architect are collected hereGiorgio Vasari, whose work rebuilt the Loggias located behind the Town Hall, built during the Perugine domination in the 1300s.